Thursday, May 28, 2009

Are you a bike punk?

What actually is a bike punk?
A punk that bikes? Is that all? Is it about anarchy on the road? I don't think so. Is it a guy/girl that rides a fixie with spoke cards and that plays bike polo on the weekends? Far too stereotypical (e.g. mountain and road bikes are also commonly used), but getting close I suppose..

"hard court bike polo" by "kitty meets goat"

Do you have to (re)build your bike yourself to be part of the crowd? I guess that helps as it's also about creativity and spending little money. Are only bike couriers allowed? And what about clothing? Punk-like clothing I'd say.
But is that all? Or is it not that at all?

How to be a bike punk?
Yes, there is even a funny How-to on the internet! So let's see what I fulfill:
  • buy a bike and value it almost as much as your own life: done
  • get committed: done, no car
  • bicycle safety: learned, so fine
  • bicycle as the primary form of transportation: what else?
  • cycle in rain and sunshine: easy-peasy
  • attend critical mass (see what that is here): if possible
  • unique clothing: well, kind of, but probably still too mainstream
  • ...
Hm, I don't own a fixie though, and I yet don't have any cards in my spokes (but a sticker on my top tube that says "one less car" -- does that count?). I also never played bike polo. Therefore I wouldn't consider myself as bike punk. But all of that is not mentioned in the how-to anyway. So maybe I am a bike punk sensu lato ;-). What about you?

Well, honestly, who really gives a shit? Whatever you are, cycle on!

I found that cool redo of the Clash cover on the Three Basics blog

11 comments:

Betty said...

right on with the bike polo!

Velouria said...

I am so not a bike punk. Not yet...

Dottie said...

That's funny. I fit all the criteria, too, but I'm definitely not a bike punk. Bike punks are a distinct tribe in Chicago, often found on fixed gears with tight jeans and no helmets. Oh, I'm also way too old, at 27, to be a proper bike punk.

Anonymous said...

Bike Punk???
Sounds like just another pigeon hole!
Or maybe a fashion label
Anarchy is a political/philosophical view point.
I guess I'm a punk that rides a bike not a bike punk:)

oyoy said...

That clash cover is actually from the pre-event for the 2007 Cycle Messenger World Championships

Nothing to do with 3 basics

Anonymous said...

This year again there will be DIY Bikefest in Scheveningen (The Netherlands)

http://diybikefest.puscii.nl/

Don't be fooled by the date in the website, it is for this year:)

Jesse said...

I'm a punk who is also a cyclist but not in the "fixie rider" context; I do a lot of road riding (trying to get sponsored onto a professional team)

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing such a useful
post.

Unknown said...

I believe that, this is extremely individual and predominantly intellectual. Also bike punks can be even ride across the country too.
custom bicycle stickers

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing such a useful post.

Sidra Naz said...

Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love learning more on this topic. If possible, as you gain expertise, would you mind updating your blog with extra information? It is extremely helpful for me. good cycling form

Post a Comment