Saturday, June 27, 2009

Bike vs. car: a short alleycat race in the rush hour

Mr. E. Wagner is a publisher of city maps, hiking guide books and other things of this kind. Last fall I worked for him to revise the new edition of the "Eco City Traffic Map Linz" which features bike lanes, bike paths, one-way directions, secret paths for pedestrians and more useful information.

Last Thursday Mr. Wagner asked me to accept the challenge of a short alleycat race through Linz, bicycle vs. car. My competitors were the editors of the local online newspaper www.linzerleben.at, Mrs. G. Winter and Mr. C. Savoy. Checkpoints were at a drugstore in the northeast of Linz and a post office in the center, the endpoint was a bookstore near the center too.

Since my opponents relied on their navigation system, I could take the lead from the start. I must admit, I went a little faster than I usually do when I go to work or the like, therefor I sweat a little more, but my opponents weren't able to gain the lead again. The traffic of the afternoon rush hour did the rest. After 7 kilometers (a little more than 4.3 miles) I won with a clear margin of 10 minutes.

After the heat: maff, Mr. Wagner, Mrs. Winter
(by courtesy of www.linzerleben.at)

A
german article and more pictures can be found here.

4 comments:

Xavi said...

A perfect illustration about the power of bikes in everyday trips. Of course only one trip is not enough to make valid statistics, but I guess that if this was done more frequently and in more cities, bikes would easily win the competition.

anna said...

Well done. But I guess also a grandma on a single-speed Waffenrad could keep up with a car in the city :-).

MDI said...

Oh, there's no question that inside a large city a bicycle can be faster than a car during the day even not counting rush-hour traffic. You can easily lose ten or fifteen minutes to road congestion, doubling your trip time. And what if you have to look for parking?

Teagan W said...

Hi great reeading your post

Post a Comment