Sunday, October 11, 2009

re: bike fashion in fall

In Budapest, just before our ways parted after the mobility workshop, me, Anna and Ida went to do some shopping at a bike fashion store Musu. The store was tiny, but there were not many identical products on the racks and they would customize their products in your taste so the choice was plentiful. We were impressed by the collection, which was inspired by and designed for cycling, and everyone ended up leaving with something bought from the store. Here's what I bought:


Some bling, of course! And...


... a poncho for the chilly fall. It is made of thick and heavy cloth so it keeps the wind off your skin. Love the print! The skirt (below) is also a Musu product. The gray part which rises almost to the empire line is part of the skirt. There is a pocket on the right side made of the gray cloth. It is a good skirt for cycling because the hem is just high enough not to get stuck anywhere and low enough not to show too much. Also the gray kidney warmer-part is very comfortable. A big bonus is that you can combine it with other garments to wear it anywhere (tested while shopping, in school, bar, and a fancy arts exhibition opening party).


Here's what I wear in the fall (OK, the jacket wasn't the right color). You can see that it is quite a lot of clothes, layering is essential, but just wait for the winter...

Do you have special cycling clothes? What do you think about Musu style and mine? (Yep, I'm combining toque, helmet and high heels, but all of them are must!)

10 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Ride On Post!

I just wrote about this very topic. Your poncho, cape and (as I recently learned) also called a "chlamys" or "Irish Brat"is perfect for LAYERING over your jacket or coat for that extra layer of warm.
Your photo is GREAT of you, you capture the whole layering idea so well.

p.s. ooops had to repost : )

Velouria said...

Fascinating to hear that Budapest has a bike fashion shop;
Love the cape and the jewelry.
What is a skirt "kidney warmer"?

When I am cycling, I like to wear vests for temperature control and hats to keep my hair out of my face in the wind, like the outfit I posted here.

Anonymous said...

I also love the "Musu" shop and was there quite often when I lived in Budapest. But I do not believe it is a "bike fashion store" (rather a fashion store featuring things with a bicycle on it). There is an other great store called "Manu Art", where they also have many things with a bicycle printed on it (and great bags with cats and dogs).

[vicious]

anna said...

Today is the first "real" fall day in Vienna -- cold, and with a lot of rain. I wear a cord skirt, thick black tights and boots, a warm jacket and already a scarf, a cap and gloves. And the rain poncho of course. Back to wonderful commutes on a rainy morning, I enjoy it. There's only one drawback: I have to cycle along the most busiest roads in Vienna (Gürtel), and with the rain the cars are even ten times louder.

Unknown said...

It makes a delightful change to the "high-vis" attire that most British cyclists seem determined to wear. I know that safety is key, but it seems a shame that we can't have a bit of style thrown in for good measure ;0)

Velouria said...

Anna, you are so brave for cycling along the Gürtel; it makes me nervous just to think about it! But maybe after 3 1/2 months of cycling in Boston it will no longer seem that bad to me when I return to Vienna?
Maybe... : )

anna said...

@ Filigree: Actually there is a (rather crappy) bike path along the Gürtel, so I only cycle very short bits on the car lanes (still very loud, slow and polluted). If you like we can ride there together one day :).

Sonja said...

SMB, yep, we do need some stylish helmets. Does anyone know where to buy those? The only model that you see in stores here is the one that I'm wearing and it is almost impossible to look hip with that kettle.

Filigree: Kidney warmer was a new thing for me too. It is a strap of cloth that you wear on the kidney area around the body :)In Musu store they had those separated and sewn in with skirts.

Dottie said...

You look great - I love the belt and boots! Mmm, lace-up boots are so fab. The stamped cloak is super cute, too. A cloak seems like a good idea, because I have a tendency to overheat while riding, no matter how cold the weather is.

Post a Comment