Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Beer transport

The temperature rises and every day I see more and more cyclists out and about. And every day I discover tons of bike-related topics to write about ;-). Where to start today? Maybe last things first..

On my way home from university I met my flatmate. She wanted to buy some beer for her party this weekend, but the nearest shop was already sold out (they had a cheap offer). So she asked me where the next one is and whether I would help her carry some. As I had to buy some milk anyway, that wasn't really a long way round for me.

Each of us carried 24 cans (à la 0.5l) of Ottakringer beer. Although we are both skinny girls that's peanuts. I guess we could have carried even more, especially on the downhill part, but our bikes weren't set up for that. Still, I'm quite happy with my new carrier and the expanders ;-).

If we can do it, you can, too.

Today's beer transport

By the way, did I ever tell you about the German term Radler? It has two different meanings:
  1. cyclist: Bicycle in German means Fahrrad (short form: Rad) and the person who rides a Rad is therefore called a Radler.

  2. beer with soda: The Radler is a common refreshing drink in some parts of Europe, especially in the German speaking countries. It comes in different variations. In Vienna it is a mix of pale lager and soda pop, for example Sprite. Where I come from this would be called "süßer Radler" (sweet Radler), in contrast to the "saurer Radler" (sour Radler) which is a mix with sparkling mineral water instead of a soda pop.

    It's possible to buy prefabricated Radler, but they are quite sweet and I can't recommend them. But if you are keen to experiment you can order an Almradler here in Austria -- a mix of pale lager and our herbal soda Almdudler. I don't like it.

    You may wonder why this drink is also called Radler. Well, this is obvious: It's simply because cyclists are thirsty! Read more on Wikipedia.
Radler filling station ;-)

Whether you like beer or Radler or not -- I wish you a nice evening. Prost!

1 comment:

David Hembrow said...

Nice blog post. Refreshment is a very important issue for cyclists !

Post a Comment